Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring Blizzard

Living in Colorado means things are consistently inconsistent. You never totally pack away the summer gear or the gortex and fleece. Wednesday I was out running in tank top and shorts and sweating profusely in the intense sun. Today, I am bundled up and soaking wet after shoveling a foot of wet and heavy spring snow out of our drive (note: normally my wonderful husband does this for me, but he is traveling so that honor is mine today. Hopefully his flight will be on time tonight). We heard the weather could potentially tank late yesterday afternoon--but the bulk of it was supposed to fall after nightfall when we were all safe and sound at home. I managed to get in my 8 miles of running in (6 @ pace or faster) just before the sunny skies turned to rain. I had literally just finished my run when the rain started to fall. And then two hours later the rain had morphed to snow. Heavy, fat flakes that blotted out the sky. I gathered up my work gear, collected files to bring home with me and set out. To say I was shocked at how quickly the weather deteriorated was an understatement. To say everyone else was too, is also an understatement. The snow was falling about 3" an hour. Cars were piled up inthe ditches, stuck on inclines, and spun out in wrong directions. It all fell way too quickly for the snowplows to get out and do their job or for the people holed up in their offices to notice it had gotten so bad, so quickly. It took me nearly and hour and a half to get home (I live 10 miles away). Poor Emily didn't get home until after 9:00. When you see snowplows off in the ditch, you know it is bad.

So today I am snuggled in with the lads. They canceled school and my office is closed ("work at home" day). I have to try to figure out how to get some work done over nap, but I am not going to worry too much about it, afterall, it IS a snow day. I am enjoying being slothful (minus the hour of shoveling) and cuddly with them. Their excitement about "snow day" is contagious. Beanie is enthralled with watching "Burddiees up in TREE! Burddees in da (s)NO Mommie!! Hi Mr. Burdee! HELLLOOOO!" and Liam is enjoying laying around on the couch doing word searches. I plan to not do too much today other then hang out with them and enjoy every rare minute of time together, drinking in their deliciousness. We might bake snickerdoodles. We might play Candyland. We might all go out again and shovel some more. I am not sure yet. The beauty of a snow day is you don't have to plan anything.

No comments: