Tuesday, March 9, 2010

An Island in a Sea of Sickies

Everyone at my office is sick. Four people were out sick yesterday in my (small) department alone and that is not even counting all of the other sickies out in other departments. At home, my husband has been battling some sort of nastiness that is kicking his otherwise healthy and active butt. The bug appears to have no borders. I called my parents yesterday back in Ohio and my mom is sick as well. My dad is also recovering from a milder version of the "ick." I pray that the boys do not get it.

Everyone has told me, "You better not get it! Make sure you wash your hands! Take your vitamin C!" and that is normally sound advise. But here's the thing...I have a freakishly good immune system. For someone who rarely sleeps, trains hard and (according to my husband, not me) does not eat enough, I seem to be alright in the immune department. And there are times I must admit, I have thought that getting a bad cold wouldn't be such a bad thing. A bad cold would mean I would have a justifiable reason to stay in bed all day and do nothing. No work. No workouts. No cleaning up pee from little boy beds. Legitimate Slothfulness...sigh.

Of course I realize by writing this I am probably dooming myself to wake up tomorrow with some sort of nastiness like Swine Flu or shingles or scurvy... (ok maybe not that last one) but as long as my healthy streak can hold for another 42+ days I will be happy. Because running the Boston marathon with a fever and bronchitis has SO been done before. By me. (How 2004!)

This year I would like to be original and run it healthy.

No comments: