I have mentioned that Sawyer has been a bit of a "challenge" lately. Cutting more teeth combined with being nearly 18 months old with a limited vocabulary is frustrating, I am sure. At least this is what I keep telling myself when I feel like locking him in his room. This morning he woke up earlier than normal, angry and screaming. There is no escalation period...he goes from 0 to irate in 3 seconds flat. I hopped out of the shower and got dressed and went to get him and he calmed down. I brought him into our room and let him sit on the bed ( a giant king with a log frame). Normally he sits there while I stand near him drying my hair. Today Liam decided to climb on the bed, which meant both boys started giggling and moving all around. I told them to SIT! and they did. This is when Sawyer decided to test me by leaning over the edge of the bed, smirking up at me as I yelled "Sawyer NO!!!!" Even though I was less than a foot away I was not fast enough to grab him as he fell in a sickening thud on his neck off the bed. It *STILL* makes me ill to picture it again--him sliding off and landing face up towards the ceiling. I yelled and grabbed him up and took him downstairs to Ken (always the calm one) and he got him to quiet down and stop crying (he is of the "stop crying and it won't hurt" mentality. I am of the "oh my God I've killed him" mentality). After a few minutes he stopped crying and resumed running around and scaling things as usual but still...it makes me ill to think about what could have happened.
Between Sam breaking her arm and my grandfather shattering his hip on Sunday I am on heightened alert--although evidently not enough or it wouldn't have happened in the first place. :-(
No comments:
Post a Comment