So Friday and Saturday we got pummeled with snow and sleet and rain, then snow and rain and sleet. We had inches of the stuff dumped on us (some areas had THREE FEET). Today, Sunday, it is almost all gone. The sun came out with a fury and melted it all away. Our house sits on top of a slight hill so the water/meltoff drains down the street into a drainage pipe which the boys discovered and became obsessed with. Sawyer figured it out pretty quickly that if he dropped something into the water, it would get whooshed down the street and into the drain. Over and over and over they would drop things into the water and then run down the sidewalk, then peer into the drain then repeat. It didn't matter what it was: rocks, dandilions, sticks or a paintbrush (yes, a house painter's paintbrush) it went down the drain. Since I am a nervous nelly I had to constantly remind the boys NOT to get too close to the drain for fear they could get sucked down. Liam understood and would lay on his tummy on the sidewalk and peer over the curb but Sawyer...kept trying to get a closer look. The whole thing made me a neurotic mess. The woman who lives on the corner by the drain had her two little girls out (equally fascinated by the drain). I pointed out how a child could get sucked down that drain if the current were strong enough and she too became horrified. The water running into the ditch on our street was not THAT strong, but it was strong enough in my opinion to intrigue a little shaver to try and get a closer look. I'll be glad when the snow is all melted and evaporated which by the forecast, should be mid week (near 80!)
Until then, I need to reinforce that it is NOT anything to play around.
No comments:
Post a Comment