Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I feel like a rusty, broken down old truck

I am not quite sure why, but I have always identified with rusty, old trucks. Maybe it is because I grew up in the country and a rusty old truck was never far from view. There is something almost comforting to me when I see an old truck-I think because it reminds me of home and the old red, delapidated truck that used to rest in our barn. (Or maybe it was my grandfather's barn or maybe both? My memory fails me...) In any case, I have always been able to identify with those old trucks. They might not look that great, they may be beat up and bruised but once you got them going...they could go forever. Whenever I set out for a run I imagine myself like an old truck. It might take three or so miles to get warmed up but once I do...I can go forever. (forever being 26.2 miles--I haven't tested the theory past that distance). But eventually even the old trucks give up the ghost and can't keep running like they used to. Despite their best efforts they are limited to the confines of their frames, engines and tires. This is how I have been feeling recently. Despite my best intentions my body is feeling very broken down. Tired. Flat. Out of gas.

I set out for my runs and am immediately overcome with a heaviness in my legs and a deep fatigue. I am not sleeping--I cannot physically get comfortable so I toss and turn and almost wish for morning. I feel like I am crushing myself with my own body mass. My hips and back are sore and ache and I don't know why. I am not running a lot. I eased back after the snowboarding fall. I have been cross training more and taking it relatively easy. I refuse to believe that these legs and lumbar discs have too much mileage on them. I still intend to run a marathon in the fall. I just need to find some sort of relief for this tired achey feeling. I realized a few years ago that the times I used to run are probably a memory and that just to be able to get out and go the distance is reward enough (it is). All that I ask is that I feel good doing it again because lately...this old truck is a mess.

No comments: