Thursday, September 10, 2009

Confessions

This morning Liam and I were downstairs in the kitchen, getting his breakfast. All of a sudden he turned to me and said "Mom, I love my teacher! (pause) I really, REALLY love Mrs. Jessen!!!" I smiled at him and told him that I was so very happy that he loved her and that he was enjoying school so much. I asked him if he loves Mrs. Jessen more then his teachers at preschool and he said ""YES." I could tell that he really liked her when we were doing his homework assignments this week. Anytime I asked him to do an assignment he would ask concerned, "Is this what Mrs. Jessen WANTS me to be doing? Did she say to do that or are you making it up? I don't want her to be mad at me." Once I convinced him that it was indeed, a Mrs. Jessen Approved Activity, he would relax and complete the assignment. Which got me naturally thinking..."how can I best use this newfound knowledge to my advantage?" What mother worth her salt would not use this jewel for good behavior enforcement? Sometimes the best parenting comes from using your children's obsessions and fears to your advantage (hey, I never said I was perfect)...

"Hey Liam, I'd hate to have to tell Mrs. Jessen that you have a messy room..." or "Did you know Mrs. Jessen *LOVES* green beans?? " or, "Peeing all over the wall because you refuse to turn the light on in the bathroom would probably REALLY make Mrs. Jessen SAD."

Oh the possibilities are shamelessly endless.

No comments: