Monday, September 20, 2010

I'm pretty sure DaVinci had a 6 year old assistant

Yesterday while a very cranky Beanie was taking a very long nap, I decided to sneak out to the Pseudio to paint (because you see, it's not *really* a Studio, but the garage is as close as I am going to get for a while). Liam decided to bring out his crayons and coloring books and papers out to join me. He loves to sit out there while I paint and I love it when he does. He is always so complimentary and so very excited to see the picture slowly revealing itself bit by bit. "Your beautiful painting is looking good Mama!" he will say to me. It always makes me smile--he is very approving and he actually has a very keen eye. I was working on one area of the sky and he would look at the colored sketch I keep for reference and he would make comments "Yes, yes you are doing a good job. See this sky in your picture?? Your painting looks the same. The white matches what you have on this picture."

When he gets a little bit older I will let him help me more. Right now he likes to talk about colors and how one color makes another one, etc. He likes to ask me why oil paints stay wet so long and why I use the certain brushes and colors that I do. I love it, I really do. It was always my dream to have at least one of my kids be interested in art and so far, Liam seems pretty interested. He loves to paint and draw and write stories and create all sorts of neat little things. Sawyer likes art too. I was watching him color yesterday and he was very deliberate, very methodical with his strokes. He is not the typical 2.5 year old who scribbles on a piece of paper. He sits down and very carefully makes his marks and tries very hard to color in the lines (which I have NEVER encouraged the boys to do. Ever. I'm a color outside the line kind of girl). With certain things (his room NOT being one of them), he really likes and needs order. Maybe he will revive the Color Field art movement...

No comments: