Mondays are always a bit rough going. If we can get out the door and get Liam to school without being more than 15 minutes late we are doing good. I have learned over the years that if I need to get Liam out the door at a certain time, I need to start a half hour in advance. Even when I do, we still end up late half the time. I constantly catch myself hurrying Liam along, urging him to "stop looking around" and to "pay attention and FOCUS!". Then I think about how wonderful it is that he IS so observant, how he doesn't miss any little detail on any plant, bird, or tree and how he takes the time to enjoy his surroundings. I think as adults we (figuratively) beat this out of children. We ourselves are so time starved, over-booked and perpetually late that we pass along our time anxiety vicariously.
Today I dropped Liam off at school (why yes, of COURSE we were late) and I took a second to talk to one of his teachers, Ms. Sue. I told her that we were working on Liam's volume control (he has one volume, and it is NOT quiet). She thanked me and said she was noticing improvement. She then pulled me aside and said "I have to tell you what a joy Liam is. He is such a sweet little boy." I said "Yes, he is definitely a lover" (when he is not hitting Sam with a stick). "He cares a lot about everyone!" (when they are NOT taking his toys). She then said "I just ADORE him, it is clear that he is a nurturing soul and has a sweet spirit. Sometimes I feel like I need to refocus his attention because he notices so much...it makes me smile because he reminds me of how my daughter was when she was little."
I thanked her and left school feeling happy. He IS a sweetheart most of the time and he DOES have a sweet spirit (most of the time). The older he gets the more I see just how caring he is (most of the time). Now if I could just figure out how to let him enjoy his surroundings without making us late every day...(most of the time)
No comments:
Post a Comment