Thursday, September 18, 2008

Can't wait for the teen years...

Since starting preschool, our sweet boy has turned a bit...shall we say, MOUTHY. Tonight at the dinner table he threw a major fit over the pasta sauce on his spaghetti (the same pasta sauce he ALWAYS eats. And loves.) I gave him a few chances to correct his behavior until the third strike, and then sent him to his room for three minutes. When I told him "Three minutes Liam!" he yelled back at me "NO! TEN minutes!!!" And we said, ok then, ten minutes, he in turn countered, "NO! TWENTY MINUTES!!" This went back and forth until he yelled out angrily "ONE MILLION MINUTES!!!" Clearly he needs to work on his negotiation skills. After crying over his pasta sauce repeatedly and sassing me and other various naughtiness (like wiping a pasta sauce laden spoon on my shirtsleeve, for example) he got sent to bed for the first time without any supper. I HATED doing this, because all I can think of is his skinny little tummy rumbling later in the middle of the night, However I know that based on his behavior it was the right thing to do. If there is one thing that Ken cannot tolerate it is wasting food and poor behavior at the table. Something tells me that while beanie will test us in other areas, he won't ever test us at the dinner table! ;-)

No comments: